Note: Older versions of ON1 PHOTO RAW 2017 & 2018 are not compatible with the newer macOS Catalina. You will need to upgrade to ON1 PHOTO RAW 2020 for Catalina support.
This support article lists the recommended steps for troubleshooting any hanging, freezing or crashing of the new ON1 Photo RAW 2017. We highly recommend following the steps in the order below.
A. Unable to launch the Photo RAW.
B. The program immediately crashes when launching the standalone application.
Please try each of these steps in the order listed below. Please make sure you try to launch the ON1 Photo RAW 2017 standalone application after each step.
1. Restart your computer.
2. Confirm your computer meets the minimum requirements listed here.
3. Reinstall the program.
- Make sure you download and install the latest version here.
- Disable any anti-virus software during installation.
- Windows users: Right click on the installer and choose "Run as the Administrator". Mac users simply double click on the installer.
4. Delete the ON1 Preferences:
- Mac: Mac HD\users\your username\Library\Preferences
If you are on Mac, please restart your machine after deleting the preference files (highlighted in orange in the screenshot above)
- Windows Users: Simply delete the "ON1.Layers 2017.ini" file in the path below:
C:\users\<your username>\APPdata\roaming\on1\ON1 Layers 2017
5. Update your video card driver. Click here for instructions on how to update your video card driver.
6. If you are on a PC and are receiving Microsoft Runtime Errors during or after installation, please repair your Microsoft C++ Runtime. Click here for instructions.
7. If you are on a PC, please repair registry with CCleaner on Windows. We recommend this free CCleaner here.
8. Delete the most recent "ExploreService" folder:
Windows: C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\ON1\ON1 Photo RAW 2017\ExploreService
Mac: Mac HD:\Users\<User Name>\Library\Application Support\ON1\ON1 Photo RAW 2017\ExploreService
9. Remove the most recent "NDService" folder:
Windows: C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\ON1\ON1 Photo RAW 2017\NDService
Mac: Mac HD:\Users\<User Name>\Library\Application Support\ON1\ON1 Photo RAW 2017\NDService
10. Remove all versions of ON1 software using the "Remove All" script and reinstall ON1 Photo RAW 2017. Click here for the uninstall steps.
**IMPORTANT NOTE FOR UNINSTALLING**
Running the "remove all" script from the link above will remove all traces of ON1 from your machine. If you have created or installed presets into your ON1 programs, we recommend backing up your presets prior to running the remove all script. Please click here for instructions on how to backup your presets.
Still having trouble?
If none of the above troubleshooting steps have solved the problem, please contact ON1 Technical Support.
Please provide information about your computer system, the troubleshooting steps and the ON1 Log.txt file in your request. The ON1 Log File is located here:
Click the Go Tab at the top, hold down the Option Key on your keyboard and click Library > Application Support ON1 > Photo RAW 2017 > ON1 Photo RAW.log
C: > Users > Your Username > AppData > Roaming > ON1 > ON1 Photo RAW > ON1 Photo RAW Log
Please note, App Data is a Hidden Folder on Windows. Please make sure you enable hidden files and folders on your machine so you are able to open this folder. Click here for instructions on how to enable hidden files and folders on your PC.