Troubleshooting TipsPinned Featured
Please DO NOT post comments in this thread.
If you want to comment on any tips, start a new thread to do it.
If you have a solution or 'How To' and wish to contribute to this thread, feel free to write it up and post it below. It must be self contained and formatted as the mods don't have access to edit/correct posts.
This thread is a list of known solutions and tips to common problems that have been posted in these forums over the years. Some of the suggestions here are for Mac only and others are for Windows only.
If you try any of these and it doesn't fix your problem, feel free to open a NEW thread to discuss it, however, you can contact On1 tech support here...
and provide this requested info...
- Won't Run
- Runs but Not working properly
- Uninstall/Clean Install
- Guides and Tutorials
- Using Professional plugins in Windows
1: Downloading Updated: Dec 16 2022
Weather you're a new user or need to reinstall the program, there are multiple ways to download. Note that On1 only provides the latest incremental versions for download. If you want to go back to a previous incremental version, you need to contact On1 tech support and request it.
The latest version can be downloaded from your On1 account after you sign in at
or from this web page...
Note: If you are having trouble downloading an update with the Auto-update feature from inside On1, you'll have better luck using a Browser to manually download from one of the sites above and install from your PC.0
1) Make sure you have a good copy of the installer on your PC.
2) Reboot the PC to make sure nothing else is running.
3) It may help to disable antivirus software until the installation is done.
4) Windows users should install as an Admin.
5) If you're installing over an older version, you may need to do a clean install by deleting the previous installation * (see below)
*Note: this will delete all of your presets and extras. These need to be backed up or exported first.0
3) Won't run Updated Nov 29 2022
If the program has installed correctly but now it won't start up:
1) Try the Delete settings procedure
2) If you can get to the Delete settings page but it didn't help, try the Reset option instead
3) Check the size of the ON1 LOG file to see if it's very large. If so, rename or delete it. The log file is found at:
(Windows) C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\ON1\ON1 Photo RAW 2023\ON1 Photo RAW Log.txt
4) In Windows, check for damaged system files as follows...
1) Open START panel
2) Type cmd
3) Right-Click the CMD.EXE result and select Run as Administrator.
4) A command window will open.
5) At the command prompt, type the following and hit enter. sfc /scannow
6) System files will be checked and after a while a status will be shown weather any errors were found.
7) Close the window when done.0
1) You must use the same email that you used when creating your account for activation.
2) If you've exceeded your activations, you can reset them in your account.
3) For all other activation problems, you must contact ON1 Customer service.
5) Slow Updated: Feb 1 2023
If PhotoRaw seems to be running very slowly...
1) Check that the GPU driver is up to date (windows)
2) Make sure GPU is set for On1 to use it (windows)
3) In Win 10/11 Graphics Settings/Options make sure High Performance is selected for On1.
4) Remove any On1 folders from the path of your Antivirus
- C:\Program Files\ON1
- C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\ON1
5) Close the left panel while editing to prevent the previews updating constantly
6) If you don't need catalogs, Turn off cataloging and work directly off of your drives.
7) If you don't need Keyword AI, In "Preferences", click on the "Keyword AI" tab. Deselect "Scan Cataloged Folders with Keyword AI
8) If it's an option, move your cache to a fast drive.
9) If you don't have a lot of RAM, move your mem swap file to a fast drive and give it twice your RAM size
10) In Photoraw File > Edit > Preferences > Files(Tab) > UNCHECK Apply Lens correction automatically to RAW photos
11) Run Windows sfc /scannow at an elevated prompt to look for errors on your PC. (See section 3 above)0
6) Runs, but not working properly Updated: Feb 1 2023
1) Simply restart the program and see if the problem corrects itself.
2) Try Delete settings, it fixes many unusual problems.
3) Make sure the graphics drivers are up to date...
4) Run Windows sfc /scannow at an elevated prompt to look for errors on your PC. (See section 3 above)
5) Reinstall the program
6) Do a clean reinstall. (see below)0
7) Uninstall/Clean Install
* Replace '2020' with whatever version you're working with.
1. Uninstall via the Add/Remove Programs
2. Remove the C:\Program Files\ON1\ON1 Photo RAW 2020 directory
3. Remove the directories with "2020" in their names located in C:\ProgramData\ON1
4. Remove the directories with "2020" in their names located in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\ON1
5. Remove this directory C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules\ON1 Photo RAW 2020.lrplugin
6. Remove this directory C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules\ON1 Resize 2020-suite.lrplugin
7. Remove the 2020 files in this directory C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\External Editor Presets
8. Remove the 2020 files in this directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC
/Applications/ON1 Photo RAW 202x
~/Library/Application Support/ON1 — Make sure to export all your presets first so you can import them after reinstalling
~/Library/Caches/com.ononesoftware.ON1PhotoRAW____ There are several of these
~/Library/Caches/ON1 Photo RAW 2021
~/Library/Preferences/com.ononesoftware.ON1______ There are several of these one for each program module-1
8) Guides and Tutorials Updated: Dec 5 2022
On1 User Guides.
On1 Video Library
On1 Creative Library (Download Extras)
9) Using Professional plugins in Windows Updated: Dec 13 2022
By Andrea Suatoni
Professional plugins on Windows may fail to be invoked from host applications when the plugins are installed for All Users
When Professional Plugins 2022 (and 2023) are installed for All Users, that is system wide instead in the current user's context, the installer requires the elevation of privileges to copy the files in some protected directories. However, if the administrator account is different from the account of the user who is going to use the plugins, the plugins will not start properly.
The reason is that the ON1 installer and the plugins code expect to read/write some some critical information in the current user's registry context, but when the installer is being elevated using a different account, the critical information will be written in that account context, not in the context of the normal user.
The following hack will resolve the issue:
1) Login to the computer with the user account which will use the plugins.
2) Open an elevated Command Prompt (cmd). The easiest way is to press the Windows+R keys, write cmd in the dialog and (very important) press the Control+Shift+Enter keys. When requested, specify the same administrator account you used to install the software.
3) Locate a directory where not only the administrator, but also all the other users can access the files. Let's say we will use C:\Temp, create it if it doesn't exist.
4) Run the following command:
reg export HKCU\Software\ON1 C:\Temp\ON1.reg
5) Open now another Command Prompt, this time without elevation.
6) Run the following command:
reg import C:\Temp\ON1.reg
The needed information is now being imported in the current user's context. You can store away the ON1.reg file and use it again for any other user account.0
Please sign in to leave a comment.